4.12.2010

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes (AKA our Garden)

Can you tell which part of the garden I'm most excited about? :)

We are actually growing many things but I LOVE tomatoes. We've started our garden. We are SO excited for this because we eat so much produce and it couldn't be more fun to grow our own! We are hoping that we will get a decent yield this year, but we're not too expectant of it since it's our first year.

We're lucky in that we have very rich soil. The previous owners of our house had a garden for 20+ years, but it's been about 5 years since they planted anything. The result: rich, rested soil for our excited garden planting souls! :)


The first step to beginning our garden was clearing out all of the old branches and limbs that fell during our incredibly stormy winter. This took about 2 weekends of my husband working constantly!

The branch clearing process. We have preserved forest land at the end of our street, so our neighbor generously let us borrow his awesome wagon to haul branches down there.

Mostly, I love this picture because I think he looks like the kid from Dennis the Menace who is always pulling that wagon. He didn't agree. :)



I don't have any pictures of the tilling process but after he tilled up the land he fenced it off from the dogs. We are going with the taller temporary fencing this year. Maybe next year we'll get something pretty.

Designated rows for each veggie. Placed stakes so we could remember.


Carrots, carrots, lots of carrots!

There she is in all her glory. I'm sure I'll be out there with my magnifying glass (although I don't own one) looking for signs of growth! We're so excited!

Tomorrow I will share about our germinating veggies. It's fun too but I can't wait to get them in the ground!

Happy MONDAY!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, your very own garden! So fun! Glad to see you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete